Monday, August 30, 2010

Outside of the box

As an effective leader it is important to think outside of the box but how can you do so if you have always lived within the constraints of the box? Business school is the perfect opportunity to challenge yourself due to the access to resources, opportunities, diverse people and new experiences. Going into business school, it is critical to maintain an open mind to get the most out of this unique experience. Your perspective on the world and yourself will be altered. You never know who will be your next best friend or which career opportunity you may come across that may potential change your life.


One of the most important aspects of business school is creating your personal and professional network. A good friend of mine who is also starting her first year of business school and I had a candid conversation about building new relationships with classmates. One thing we discussed was making your own judgment about people rather than relying on external sources. It is very easy to use others' opinions on people when you have hundreds of classmates to meet in a short period of time but if you give people a chance, you may be pleasantly surprised. Before starting school, many friends warned me that students at my school may not be friendly but I still have not started school and have already met people, who have extended their generosity beyond my expectations. When I was ready to sleep on the floor because my bed had not yet arrived, my classmates gave me an air mattress, sheets, pillows and helped me move in all of my boxes. Small acts of kindness like this are not unique. As a matter of fact, when traveling abroad with classmates, I witnessed the same level of commitment to helping others.


In business school, it is very easy to pursue traditional "business" careers. As I recruit for jobs, I plan to keep a similar mindset of being open to new possibilities. I imagine I will be exposed to some jobs and careers, I may have never thought to pursue before. I will spend as much time as possible with companies to form my own opinions on whether or not the company, industry or function works for me rather than rely on what others say or think is a good fit for me.


Business school is a time to challenge yourself. Take that interesting class, spend time with the international student, travel on that school trip, join a study group with people you don't know well, try a new sport, visit the country you never heard much about and attend the networking reception of the boutique firm. Push yourself beyond your boundaries and your life will be enriched by all of these new things. I am excited to feel uncomfortable, nervous and overwhelmed but in the meantime, I will be learning so much about others and myself. Life outside of the box is much more rewarding so take the first step today and peer over the box flap.

No comments:

Post a Comment